About the Academy
When 'Hull Trinity House Marine School' opened on the 2nd February 1787, it had only 36 pupils, the Master then being Revd. T. O. Rogers (1787-1789), curate of the nearby Sculcoates Church. There was no curriculum, but there is no doubt that Arithmetic and Navigation were the principal subjects. Little is known about the first 36 boys to enter the school, however we do know that only three of them did not complete the course.
The Trinity House uniform, according to Mr Zebedee Scaping (Headmaster 1854-1909), originally consisted of 'a dress coat of blue cloth with long tails, lined with white, a stand up collar of white cloth and brass buttons, a blue waistcoat with brass buttons, and trousers of white duck or blue cloth'. Tall beaver hats were also worn, a practise which continued on Sundays until around 1854, when blue cloth caps of the Royal Naval pattern were substituted. Recent changes to the uniform have resulted in the following dress codes. The lower school uniform, (lower school being years 7 through to 9), consists of pullover, white dress shirt, trousers of black and a black beret. The upper school uniform, (upper school being years 10 and 11) is the naval 'square rig' uniform, white shirt, and a white cloth covered peak cap.
A year after the opening of the school, the Board of Trinity House devised a 'Founders' Day', or 'Dinner Day'. A feature of the dinner is that after a meal each boy takes two oranges from a basket behind him. This old custom, said to have been introduced to prevent boys deliberately picking the large fruit, continues to this day.
Trinity House School in the 21st Century still honours the traditions placed by their forefathers, the ringing of the bell, the three Sunday Services to Holy Trinity Church per year, annual prize giving awards and the annual sports gala.
In 2008 we were awarded specialist school status and in April 2012 converted to become an academy, still maintaining the links with Hull Trinity House.